TRAFFIC CHANGE COMING AT I-95 HOV AND FRANCONIA-SPRINGFIELD PARKWAY INTERCHANGE
Left-turn lanes to close for up to four weeks starting in early August
As part of the 95 Express Lanes Project, the ramps connecting the I-95 High Occupancy Vehicle Lanes (HOV) and Franconia-Springfield Parkway are being widened to accommodate the future Express Lanes. To safely access the work area and advance important work, crews must close all left turns to and from I-95 north and south and all left turns from the Franconia-Springfield Parkway starting on or about August 8, and continuing for up to four weeks. A detour will be in place and motorists may experience delays of up to five minutes or less in this area during AM and PM rush hours. Critical work includes:
- Accessing the exiting median and removing the concrete barrier
- Adding new storm water drainage and under bridge conduit
- Widening the ramps and adding new turn lanes
- Installing new gates, Express Lanes signage and a new traffic signal
- Placing new pavement and pavement markings
Click here for full fact sheet and detour map
EXTENDED I-395/95 HOV LANE CLOSURES CONTINUES THIS WEEKEND
HOV Lanes between Edsall Road and Franconia-Springfield Parkway closed Saturday
Weather permitting, at 11 p.m. Friday night, August 1, the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) will close the High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) lanes on I-395/95 from the Washington D.C. line to the end at Dumfries Road (Route 234) until 8 a.m. Saturday, August 2. The lanes will close again on Saturday night at 11 p.m. until 8 a.m., Sunday morning, August 3. The closures are needed for overnight construction work on the 95 Express Lanes Project. See the schedule below for HOV hours of operation and traffic direction:
1. Saturday morning, August 2 by 8 a.m.:
- HOV lanes open heading south from Washington, DC to Turkeycock (Edsall Road) where all motorists must exit the lanes and merge onto the I-395 south general purpose lanes.
- HOV lanes will remain closed between Turkeycock (Edsall Road) and the Franconia-Springfield Parkway (Route 289).
- HOV lanes open to southbound traffic south of the Franconia-Springfield Parkway to Dumfries Road (Route 234).
- Traffic can re-enter the HOV lanes just after the Franconia-Springfield Parkway via a left lane slip ramp.
- During this work, there will be no direct access to I-95 south HOV lanes via the Franconia-Springfield Parkway.
2. Saturday afternoon, August 2, by 2 p.m.: HOV lanes will be closed for reversal operations.
3. Saturday afternoon, August 2, no later than 4 p.m.: HOV lanes will open to traffic heading north from Turkeycock exit (Edsall Road) to Washington, D.C.
4. Saturday night, August 2, by 11 p.m.: HOV lanes will close from Dumfries Road (Route 234) to Washington, D.C.
5. Sunday morning, August 3, by 8 a.m.: Entire HOV facility will open northbound.
General Lane Closure Info
The Lane Closure Bulletin provides commuters like you a weekly heads-up on what to expect around major construction areas in the Northern Virginia area. It lets you know about closures related to the I-95 Express Lanes project, the Dulles Metrorail project, the I-95 Shoulder Improvement project, and any other notable construction-related closures in the region.
While much of the Virginia Megaprojects' construction takes place behind barriers, lane closures are necessary at certain times. Generally no lane closures will occur during rush hours - 5 a.m. to 9:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. to 9 p.m. on weekdays. Nighttime closures occur between 9:30 p.m. and 5 a.m. Monday through Thursday, and between 11 p.m. and 9 a.m. Friday and Saturday nights unless otherwise noted. Daytime closures occur Monday through Thursday between 9 a.m. and 3:30 p.m., and Friday between 9:30 a.m. and noon unless otherwise noted.
95 Express Lanes project- Northbound Daytime closures occur Monday through Thursday between 9:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m., and Friday between 9 a.m. and noon unless otherwise noted.
95 Express Lanes Project Southbound Daytime closures occur Monday through Thursday between 8 a.m. and 2 p.m., and Friday between 8 a.m. and 11:00 a.m. unless otherwise noted.
Weekly Lane Closure Bulletins
- Update Bulletin 308 08/01/2014
- Update Bulletin 307 07/25/2014
- Update Bulletin 306 07/18/2014
- Update Bulletin 305 07/11/2014
- Update Bulletin 304 07/07/2014
- Update Bulletin 303 06/27/2014
- Update Bulletin 302 06/20/2014
- Update Bulletin 301 06/06/2014
- Update Bulletin 300 06/06/2014
- Update Bulletin 299 05/30/2014
Sign Up for the Weekly Lane Closure Bulletin!
Sign Up with the Virginia Megaprojects to have news releases, traffic alerts, and the weekly lane closure bulletins e-mailed to you directly! This is a great way to "know before you go".
Many large transportation construction projects are taking place in Northern Virginia. Although orange cones and barrels are a common sight throughout the area, it's important never to become complacent when driving through a work zone.
If you spot an unsafe condition, call the Highway Helpline 1-800-367-ROAD or State Police #77
View our Safety Tips that can help with your commute.